- General Background
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) supports and facilitates the work of United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), other UN partners, and Governments in some 18 countries and territories affected by explosive-hazards. The UNOPS PSC provides specialized project management services to efficiently support UNMAS in delivering essential work on the ground in emergency, post-conflict and peacekeeping environments with the aim of promoting peace and security, protecting civilians and ensuring long lasting human security.
- Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Operations Officer and Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) will work under the direct supervision of the Head of Support Service and overall guidance of the Head of Programme. The incumbent needs to establish a safe workplace according to the client health and safety management systems and foster a culture of attention to health and safety in all the phases of the implemented projects. Specifically, He/ She will be responsible for the following duties:
• Administer Infrastructure operations and contracts and supervise project activities to ensure work complies with design and specifications.
• Participates in field assessments as needed and when required; mission reports, technical recommendations, guidance and construction for cost effective works.
• Provide advice and recommendation on various health and safety-related procedures relevant to the type of work, (such as noise levels, use of personal protective equipment, and use of machinery etc.);
• Develop visual material for on-site briefings with contractors on occupational health and safety, including any sanitation measures relating to COVID-19 based on WHO guidelines;
• Advise the Project Manager and the project team on all health and safety-related matters during project planning and implementation;
• In line with UNOPS HSSE policies and procedures, develop and/ or advise on risk mitigation and preventive actions required outlining potential threats, risks levels, and recommended mitigation strategies during project implementation, taking into consideration relevant and existing assessments;
• Follow up on the implementation of the Environmental Social Management Plan (ESMP) and Health and Safety plan on work sites.
• Propose and control the projects’ budgets for health and safety and monitor related expenditures;
• Conduct regular field inspection and monitoring visits to the projects sites to supervise the contractors throughout the project implementation, identify possible areas/issues of non-conformity (e.g. unsafe work at heights and in excavations), and prepare project’s health and safety-related reports on occurrences;
• Implement mechanisms for reporting all health and safety incidents that may have an impact on the project, as well as ensure that all accidents are documented, reported internally and/ or externally as per the agreed reporting protocols, investigated while ensuring that any recommended improvements are implemented in a timely manner.
• Provide technical assistance to HoSS to monitor UNOPS implementation plan including quality, Health, Safety, Social and Environment Provide technical leadership, oversight, advice and guidance on all infrastructure projects and work undertaken through the project.
• Supervise contractors to manage plan and coordinate daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly activities including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
• Any other duties assigned by the Head of Support Services or the Head of Programme.
- Key Competencies
• Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
• Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others.
• Results Orientation
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries
Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
• Solution Focused
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
• Effective Communication
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Education/ Experience/ Language Requirements
• A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of seven years of relevant experience is required; OR
• High School (Secondary or equivalent) with eleven years of relevant experience is required.
• Relevant experience is defined as experience in operations, project management, construction management, managing or supervising construction activities related to the project requirements, construction coordination, planning and managing works in design and construction, engineering, coordinating infrastructure projects, Health, Safety, Social and Environmental Projects or related field.
• Within relevant experience, a minimum of 2 year of experience working in conflict or post-conflict environment is required;
• Experience in administration of Infrastructure contracts is desirable;
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation is required;
• Experience in report writing is required;
• Computer literacy is required.
• Fluency in English (speaking, reading and writing) is required.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to email their CV’s on [email protected]
- Job City Mogadishu