VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia & Ethiopia. It focuses on Livestock, food security and Livelihoods, Natural Resources Management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency, and Agriculture, marketing, but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF Germany is implementing the project ‘Integrated Live-saving and Disaster Risk Reduction Project*’* in Marsabit and Turkana Counties, in Kenya, funded by German Federal Foreign Office for the next 24 months.
The overall objective of the program is to “***Improve health, nutrition and self-reliance of conflict-affected communities, IDPs and returnees as a result of enhanced access to diversified food sources, safe water, sanitation services, improved hygiene practices and strengthened livelihoods”.***
Key outputs of the project are:
Output 1: 5000 households of smallholder farmers, pastoralists and fisher folks in Marsabit and Turkana counties have access to improved production, value addition, extension and training inputs and services.
Output 2: 4000households of the target communities have access to adequate and safe water for domestic use and for livestock watering, hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation services.
Output 3: 2000 households of extremely vulnerable households have improved social protection capacity through access to multipurpose cash services.
Output 4: 1000 women and 500 girls have access to protection support services against gender-based violence through awareness creation, supporting multipurpose centers and capacity building trainings.
VSFG is seeking to recruit a qualified and well experienced Veterinarian to support the implementation of the project in the position of a Project Officer – Field Veterinarian. He/She will be based in North Horr, with frequent visits to other locations within the project areas, in Marsabit County. The incumbent will work in collaboration with other Field staff, consortium partner organizations & the Project Manager.
Key roles of the Project Officer will include.
I. Project Administration
· Provide coordinating and administrative support as directed by the Project Manager.
· Monitor the security situation in the project area and at the satellite office.
· Draft internal inter-staff communications.
II. Project Planning & Implementation
· Participate in activity planning and develop data collection systems enabling effective monitoring of defined indicators.
· Maintain project Calendar, budget and ensure deadlines are met.
· Help coordinate and follow up on project activities under components implemented by Project partners.
· Act as liaison person between project partners, the Project Manager and any Consultants to ensure timely delivery of project activities.
· Track project activities to ensure they are progressing as per schedule.
· Coordinate and organize livestock stakeholder meetings, and prepare minutes/reports of said meetings.
· Support in developing training or other materials for Animal health and community awareness on animal diseases.
· Responsible for implementing the participatory disease surveillance and drought preparedness component.
· Organize livestock traders meetings and coordinate capacity building of private sector, traders and produce reports.
· Facilitate livestock treatment/vaccinations, access to the communities, undertake livestock body condition scoring & establish market links in key towns and food markets in drought affected areas in collaboration with local CDVS and line ministries.
· Coordinate the procurement of veterinary supplies and equipment for Animal Health activities.
• Responsible for liaison with Sub-County and County Steering Groups, Department of Livestock, NGOs and other partners in fulfilling the livestock component of the project.
· Develop work plans, financial projections and verify all financial reports on the respective component.
· Manage the flow of technical reports and compilation of the same in the project narratives.
· Respond to cross cutting issues affecting the community in cooperation with specific expert agencies..
• Provide Business training for Private Veterinary Pharmacy owners supported by VSFG Marsabit County.
III. Project Monitoring & Reporting
· Prepare and submit timely progress reports including any obstacles affecting project implementation
• Permanently monitor activities and report progress to the Project Manager
· Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager.
IV. Qualifications, Experience, Attributes & Skills required
• University Degree in Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science or Animal Health from a recognized institution.
• A minimum of 5 years experience in development work.
• Team leadership experience preferred for effective and efficient outputs.
• Knowledge and experience of working with pastoral communities
• Knowledge of Participatory epidemiology, Participatory Disease surveillance, livestock body condition scoring, feed technology and livestock value chain capacity building and access issues in the region.
• Working knowledge of Foreign Office rules and regulations may confer advantage but is not mandatory.
• Fluency in spoken and written English
• Excellent computer knowledge, communication and report writing skills.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter and CV via email address [email protected] . Indicate on the subject the Project Officer – Vet. Applicants will be assessed on a continuous basis alongside internal candidates. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 15th February 2022, on or before mid-night (East African time).
Disclaimer: VSF Germany does not charge for its recruitment nor ask the applicants to pay any form of fee.
- Job City Kenya