About the Job
The Protection Interpreter supports in oral interpretation and with written translations to and from Somali / English and contributes to the achievement of protection objectives by the department.
This is a resident/National position based in Nairobi with regular (30-40%) travel to Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports in oral interpretation from Somali to English, and English to Somali in the context of regular visits to places of detention meetings with interlocutors, and protection-related trainings or presentations for external audiences.
- Translates relevant documents/texts from English to Somali or vice-versa.
- Assists in the preparation of dissemination material adapted to the Somali context.
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Linguistic Studies or equivalent qualification in a related field of study
- 4 years’ experience in a similar field in a humanitarian organization
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL)/ International Human Rights Law (IHRL) is an asset
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- High level of confidentiality and discretion
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
Apply by sending your cover letter and CV addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address [email protected]. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range. The closing date is 2nd February 2023. Clearly indicate the position title Protection Interpreter Nairobi in the subject line of your email message. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to [email protected].**
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment.