About Plan International
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
The Regional Gender Advisor will be a member of the PlayMatters regional project team but will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The position will contribute to the project goal by acting as gender focal point and leading on gender advisory for the PlayMatters project across consortium partners and project countries. This position has the overall responsibility of mainstreaming and maintaining gender-sensitivity, transformation and equity throughout the PlayMatters project advising and supporting consortium partners across project countries.
• Provide gender related support to program teams across consortium partners and project countries.
• Provide technical guidance and support to program teams to mainstream and maintain gender-sensitivity, transformation and equity throughout their activities for the duration of the project;
• Review, Analyse and input into project content using a gender lens.
• Participate in relevant technical working groups to ensure that the gender dimension is included and considered in all relevant discussions, decisions, and actions.
• Build the capacity of program staff on gender-sensitivity, transformation and equity practices and procedures.
• Map out existing gender-sensitivity, transformation and equity policies and practices across consortium partners, including guidance tools, training materials, program guides, and gender indicators
• Review and input into content developed for the PlayMatters activities (e.g. caregiver and teacher resources, play kits, guidance to, transformation and equity
• Strengthen the coordination and functionality of relevant PlayMatters project clusters to ensure gender in EiE is addressed
• Develop a gender-sensitivity, transformation and equity framework, including benchmarks for quality control, to ensure consistent and quality practices across consortium partners. The framework should help answer what gender sensitivity, transformation and equity means to the consortium, Liaise with and support MEL teams across the consortium to ensure there is gender sensitivity and disaggregation in data collection methods and products
• Liaise with Accountability Advisor on any gender-related feedback received and support the reporting process as needed
• Support Accountability Advisor with training and support on PSEA
• Support external non-consortium partners who take up PlayMatters approaches during the path to scale to ensure that gender-sensitivity and equity policies and practices are mainstreamed through related programming
• Generally, advise, support, and provide technical assistance to Plan International staff and consortium partners across project countries to maintain gender-sensitivity and equity practices, policies, and procedures for PlayMatters project
• Masters or Post-graduate certification in Social Sciences, International Development, Education, Humanitarian Response, Gender, or related field
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience working on gender program design and implementation
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in emergency or development contexts
• Demonstrated experience providing technical support and guidance on gender in education projects, ideally in emergency and/or fragile contexts
• Theoretical and practical understanding of gender attitudes and power dynamics, including how these play into access to and quality of education
• Full proficiency in English
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to communicate and work well with others across countries, cultures, and contexts
• Strong computer skills (i.e. good working knowledge of Microsoft office programs including Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook)
• Self-starter who takes initiative and can work independently and under pressure
• Strong drive for results and ensuring timely execution of tasks
• Strong commitment to inclusion and equity
• Strong sense of ethics and integrity
- Job City Addis Ababa