The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/for more information on IITA.
Science Writer, Communication Unit
The Communication Unit is a strategic unit under the Research for Development directorate that covers corporate communication, publishing, data management, and knowledge management.
- Conceptualize and develop ideas for communicating science and success stories to various audiences across multimedia platforms, including web, social media, and other online platforms.
- Write and produce science communication materials about research topics and projects, outputs, important and timely themes, or events in close collaboration with scientists and partners, other stakeholders, hub/station communicators, and IITA communication community of practice (COP).
- Provide science communication advice and training to members of the communication COP, media partners, and scientists at HQ and hubs, as needed.
- Assist in developing communication strategies/plans for hubs, projects, outputs, and/or events, and institutional communication products with the team of communication specialists.
- Work with IITA communication colleagues in the Communication Unit, hubs, and COP to communicate and promote IITA’s visibility.
- Produce institutional communication products such as the annual report, slide presentations, newsletters, blogs, posters, and other collateral materials for different audiences.
- Develop infographics and other multimedia content for use in IITA communication campaigns, materials, and media outlets.
- Develop blogs and social media posts for Flickr, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other IITA social media platforms.
- Contribute to resource mobilization through participation (as a lead or team member) in the development of concept notes and proposals.
- Perform any other tasks assigned.
The candidate should hold a BS or master’s degree in communication, journalism, science (e.g. agricultural sciences, social sciences, political sciences, economics, etc.) or a relevant/related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience in producing high-quality science communication materials across a range of mediums and in multimedia formats.
- Proven ability to translate complex scientific concepts and research into compelling and meaningful stories.
- Strong interest in science and agricultural development issues with the ability to grasp new material quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit English across multiple styles and formats at a very high level.
- Experience working with technical experts, preferably in a multicultural context.
- Experience in working in an international and/or regional organization.
- Experience working in developing countries an advantage.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Self-motivated and resourceful.
- Dynamic, curious and creative.
- Good team player with excellent interpersonal skills, able to interact effectively and positively with people in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with short deadlines.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Fluency in English. Other languages an advantage.
Duty Station: Ibadan, Nigeria.
General information: The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Method of Application
Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers. Note that candidates would be asked to provide samples of written outputs.
- Job City oyo