Job title: Surveys Manager; NTD Operations OV/LF and SCH/STH
Salary: Terms and Conditions Apply
Location: Dakar, Senegal or Abuja or Kaduna, Nigeria
Contract: Fixed Term Contract until end of March 2024 – potential to extend
Hours: This is a full-time role
About the role
Globally, after many years of effective treatment of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), there is the potential to stop mass drug administration (MDA) for Lymphatic Filaraisis (LF) and onchocerciasis (OV). To stop MDA, Disease Specific Assessment (DSA) must be conducted in line with World Health Organization guidelines. In Nigeria, supported by Bill and Melinda Gate Foundation (BMGF), Sightsavers is supporting critical efforts to assess eligibility in hundreds of local government authorities (LGAs) to stop MDA – meaning millions of people will no longer require annual treatment. This necessitates a coordination effort; internally, between the various surveys Sightsavers will support the FMoH to deliver, and externally, with the other OV and LF surveys BMGF will support other partners to deliver. The role will lead this project, working closely with Sightsavers Nigeria country office and other stakeholders, as well as supporting DSAs in other countries to progress the elimination and control of NTDs.
As the Survey Manager you will enhance elimination and control agendas for OV/LF, Schistosomiasis (SCH) and Soil-transmitted Helminths (STH) by;
- Coordinating the survey delivery process, with specific accountability for the management of the BMGF project that provides direct assistance to the Nigerian FMoH in undertaking OV and LF DSAs;
- Coordinating Sightsavers technical and logistical assistance of both government and partners to deliver high quality and timely DSAs;
- Strengthening the use of survey data, including timely data flow to ESPEN (Expanded Special Project to Eliminate NTDs) and WHO
The principal accountabilities of this role include;
- Conduct and co-chair, alongside FMoH, regular monitoring calls with COs, partners, and government officials to ensure delivery of at least 90% of DSAs are completed, safely, on time, within budget, according to agreed standards and in so doing provide quality assurance to all stakeholders;
- Work with Sightsavers technical advisors and NTD Risk Finance and Performance, FMoH and partners to develop budget formats as required, and review and approve DSA budgets;
- Develop and maintain a survey forecast that aligns with the FMoH annual survey plan, project specific outputs and outcomes, and is reflected in both the Sightsavers Financial Management Forecast (FMF) and Procurement Supply Chain (PSC) forecast;
- Support FMoH, Nigeria Survey Coordinator and other partners to submit timely requests to WHO for the donation of LF diagnostics and positive controls, and monitor expiry dates of donated items, coordinating among all partners to ensure shortest dated stock is used first
- Contribute to improved understanding of DSA unit cost;
- Chair internal Sightsavers Survey Sitrep calls.
- Coordinate timely, quality assured delivery of appropriate technical advice and assistance
- Raise both awareness and understanding of ESPEN Collect;
- Working with the ESPEN Collect team, FMoH, COs and partners to:
- Complete annual bulk registration of DSAs with ESPEN Collect;
- Finalise lists of communities/schools;
- Validate/Approve the final forms; and,
- Schedule training.
This is a varied role, please read the full job description for further details. As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
As the successful candidate you will have experience in Public Health, International Development, Donor Manager, or another relevant field. You will have a strong record of working with Complex donors, experience in humanitarian or development sectors, and of task management in NTDs and Africa.
Further requirements include;
- A successful record of accomplishment of working in multi-country projects with a diverse range of stakeholders;
- Experience working with digital data collection platforms or tools.
- Understanding and experience of a partnership approach to programme implementation.
- Ability to work systematically and diligently within a complex matrix structure without compromising the roles of key programme personnel.
- Demonstrably skilled in documentation and administration.
- Demonstrably skilled in risk analysis.
- Demonstrably skilled in both written and verbal communication in English and French
Candidates are welcome to demonstrate their ability to match the person specification by expanding on how their experience, training and/or qualifications might have provided them with the knowledge or skills required for the role. Successful candidates will be appointed on merit.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying.
Closing date: 18 January 2023
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place from the week commencing 16 January 2023 onwards and we will shortlist candidates for interview during the first week of January 2023. The evaluation process will include a 2 stage in interview process, involving a written task.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Job City Dakar, Abuja, or Kaduna