Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) has posted 1 jobs
The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is an intergovernmental partnership of 10 Nile Basin countries, namely Burundi, DR Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, The Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. Eritrea participates as an observer.
For the first time in the Basin's history, an all-inclusive basin-wide institution was established, on 22nd February, 1999, to provide a forum for consultation and coordination among the Basin States for the sustainable management and development of the shared Nile Basin water and related resources for win-win benefits.
The setup of NBI is informed by the principle of subsidiarity. Besides the Secretariat (Nile-SEC), which is responsible for the overall corporate direction there are two Subsidiary Action Programs (SAPs) offices, namely the Eastern Nile Technical Regional Office (ENTRO) for the Eastern Nile Subsidiary Action Program (ENSAP) and the Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program Coordination Unit (NELSAP-CU), for the Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program (NELSAP).
- To develop the Nile Basin water resources in a sustainable and equitable way to ensureprosperity, security, and peace for all its peoples
- To ensure efficient water management and the optimal use of the resources
- To ensure cooperation and joint action between the riparian countries, seeking win-win gains
- To target poverty eradication and promote economic integration
- To ensure that the program results in a move from planning to action