Trócaire was set up in 1973 as a charity to express the concern of the Irish Catholic Church for the suffering of people living in the world’s poorest regions.
Trócaire is the overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland.
Trócaire was established in 1973 as a way for Irish people to donate to development and emergency relief abroad. Our dual mandate is to support the most vulnerable people in the developing world, while also raising awareness of injustice and global poverty at home.
Our work is guided by Catholic Social Teaching, recognising the inherent dignity, worth and human rights of all people, as well as the importance of acting in solidarity with each other and in caring for our shared environment. We offer support regardless of race, gender, religion or politics.
Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where:
- People’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected;
- Basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably;
- People have control over their own lives;
- Those in power act for the common good.
Inspired by Gospel values, Trócaire works for a just and sustainable world for all.
Trócaire gives expression to this mission by:
- Providing long-term support to people who live with extreme poverty in the developing world, enabling them to work their way out of poverty;
- Providing assistance to people most in need in emergencies and enabling communities to prepare for future emergencies;
- Tackling the structural causes of poverty by mobilising people for justice in Ireland and abroad.
Tackling the root causes of poverty
Trócaire works with partner organisations in Ireland and internationally to bring about change at individual, community, societal and institutional levels. Together we tackle the root causes of poverty, not just the symptoms.
We work to address the structural causes of poverty, the unjust global financial and political systems that hold the poorest people back. We also give people in poor communities the skills and means to change their own lives, stand up to those in power and demand their rights.
Trócaire conducts significant research and analysis on global development issues. Our resources are freely available in our online Policy and Programmes library.