Established in 1993, Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit organization that brings people together at the table, on the ground, and across supply chains to co-create economic and social opportunities that change lives. Based in Washington, D.C., Tanager works with partners and ACDI/VOCA family of companies to expand market access and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities that result in reliable supply chains, stable incomes, healthy families, and resilient communities.
Deputy Team Lead, IGNITE, Kenya
Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is promptly seeking a creative and dynamic Deputy Team Leader with technical expertise in nutrition-sensitive agriculture for the Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. This 5-year project will improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender in agriculture interventions and business practices.
The Deputy Team Leader will provide managerial oversight of the IGNITE technical experts to ensure high-quality and timely technical deliverables to IGNITE clients so that they are equipped to achieve sustainable gender and nutrition outcomes through agricultural growth. S/he will combine managerial and technical thought leadership responsibilities. Technical responsibilities will strengthen the work of IGNITE to deliver nutrition-sensitive agriculture and Social Behaviour Change (SBC). The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Manage the technical team and relevant consultants in accordance with sound management practices, Tanager’s employee manual, and Kenya labor laws
- Review and expedite deliverables to ensure timely delivery of high-quality work to IGNITE clients
- Build relationships with clients and other stakeholders within the IGNITE project
- Manage the Tanager components of the learning agenda process, ensuring that technical experts participate in learning agenda activities and provide quality inputs for the learning agenda
- Implement the IGNITE learning agenda; guide client research discussions and provide insights to frame research within the broader industry discussion on nutrition-sensitive agriculture and SBC
- Develop annual program reports, outlining progress towards meeting activity deliverables and targets as well as any lessons learned, success stories, and upcoming activities
- Support the Team Leader in fostering a productive, professional, inclusive, and safe team culture that embodies Tanager’s values and strives for shared success, joint accountability, and commitment to achieving project deliverables
- Develop client deliverables and IGNITE tools and resources in nutrition-sensitive agriculture and SBC, based on best practices and global learning
- Support identification of local service providers, conduct trainings and other capacity building activities for identified local service providers, and accompany local service providers in providing technical support to IGNITE clients
- Leverage professional networks to draw on best practices and innovative approaches in nutrition-sensitive agriculture, SBC, and gender-integrated nutrition tools, methodologies, and approaches to contribute to IGNITE’s efforts to integrate gender, nutrition, and agriculture tools and approaches.
- Master’s degree in nutrition, public health, or other relevant technical fields around the nexus of agriculture, nutrition, and gender
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant and progressive work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa, in at least 2 different countries; at least 6 years of program management experience in a supervisory role
- Demonstrated experience and working with Agricultural development, agricultural market systems and/or value chains, gender equality and women’s empowerment, and social and behaviour change approaches as they pertain to nutrition-sensitive agriculture
- Demonstrated track record in providing technical and managerial leadership on sizable nutrition-sensitive agriculture programs, preferably those with a gender lens
- Demonstrated knowledge of and effectiveness with strategies for designing, implementing, and evaluating nutrition and gender-inclusive agriculture interventions
- Proven experience building organizational capacity of national- or regional-level institutions
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and other key stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication, technical, and reporting skills for a high visibility, flagship program
- Fluency in English, written and oral, required; French language skills strongly desired
- Ability to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa for up to 40%
Applicants from African countries strongly encouraged to apply
How to apply
Please apply online at https://tanagerintl.org/who/careers/deputy_team_leader_ignite/ by COB Friday, July 24, 2020. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
- Job City Nairobi