Adam Smith International is a global advisory company that works locally to transform lives by making economies stronger, societies safer, and governments more effective. We work on behalf of governments, foundations and companies that share our ambition to take on the big challenges facing the world. They come to us to develop strategies and to design, deliver and evaluate programmes that, in turn, stimulate growth, stability and good governance.
For nearly three decades in almost 100 countries, we have been working in partnership with governments, the private sector and civil society in countries at all stages of development.
Our core team of staff and technical experts, in multiple offices around the world, ensures the quality of delivery and high ethical standards that we and our clients require. We bring together a global network of specialist experts, who contribute their experience and know-how, where and when it is needed.
ASI is owned and operated by its employees. We are committed to corporate integrity and a triple bottom line of social, environmental and financial performance.
Adam Smith International is implementing a technical assistance project with the aim of contributing to building effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels of the federal state of Somalia, and achievement of the strategic objective of the National Development Plan (NDP) for “Developing a functioning public administration that is able to deliver quality services efficiently and consistently to all citizens across the whole territory of the Federal Republic of Somalia.”
II. Objective of the assignment
The Expert will be directly responsible for supporting the Technical Assistance Team and Ministry of Finance across a range of areas with specific focus on supporting the Ministry in management and verification of a set of Budget Support Indicators.
They will also assist the Budget Support Coordinator for the compilation of all relevant reports that will contribute to the outputs of the program.
- Assist EU budget support coordinator in liaising with other institutions for compilation of the relevant reports to support the consolidation of general performance reports;
- Support Technical Assistance Team and Assessment & Verification Expert in facilitating and preparing payment files for variable tranche indicators of the program;
- Support to the consolidation of assessments of the general performance indicators of economic outlook of the country;
- Support to monitoring of progress, identification of potential challenges in the macro-economic field, underlying causes and remedial actions and their follow-up to ensure maximum performance;
- Provide recommendations on areas of improvements including on coordination mechanisms within the ministry and with other institutions in relevant areas to accelerate PFM reform process;
- All-round advisory to Ministry of Finance with best practice to enhance Monetary and Fiscal reform agenda.
III. Qualification and skills:
Qualifications and skills
· Post graduate degree in Economic or in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of Somali;
- Excellent verbal and written English skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, an ability to work as part of a team, an aptitude to effectively transfer technical knowledge and maintain effective and cooperative relations with national authorities and donors, as well as capacity to handle sensitive issues with discretion in a multicultural environment.
General professional experience
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience in organising and conducting training courses and workshops
Specific professional experience
- Minimum 3 years hands-on experience in PFM;
- Minimum 2 years hands-on experience in Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic Policy;
- Proven experience in successfully carrying out comparable assignments;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships between Ministry of Finance, line ministries, Central Bank of Somalia, donors and other development partners;
- Computer proficiency (including word processing, spreadsheets);
- Willingness and experience to work independently in politically unstable security; situations in security sensitive areas;
Note: Civil Servants and other staff of the public administration of the beneficiary country cannot be recruited as experts within six months after the finish of their government contract.
IV. Work Place and Timing
Workplace: The assignment will be performed in Mogadishu.
Mid-August – End October 2020
How to apply
Interested? Ready to Apply?
Please submit a CV (no more than 2 pages) and short cover letter with subject headline “Economics Expert” to
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
Deadline for applications has been extended to COB 11th August.
Adam Smith International is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to consider all applicants regardless of colour, race, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical or mental disability.
- Job City Mogadishu