The Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), an African institution committed to the creation of open societies through support for democracy, human rights and good governance, invites applications for eight postgraduate scholarships from Southern African women media leaders who wish to study media management at Rhodes University’s Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI) for Media Leadership in 2019.
Eligible Countries: Applicants should be from Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, the DRC, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Swaziland, and Zimbabwe. Candidates from Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, the DRC and Lesotho will get priority in the selection of scholars for 2019.
- Only female students from OSISA’s 10 countries of Southern Africa are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Applicants should ideally come from media companies.
- Successful applicants will be required on completion of the PDMM to return to their employers in their home countries to work there for a period of at least a year in partial fulfilment of having been granted the scholarship.
- Applicants should ideally have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognised university.
- Experienced media practitioners with diplomas in journalism or mass communication studies will also be considered.
Value of Scholarship:
- The full cost of tuition
- Accommodation and meals in one of Rhodes University’s residences
- Course materials
- A monthly subsistence allowance
- Medical aid cover
- Mid-year media management internship costs.
Employers of the successful scholarship applicants or the scholarship winners themselves have to cover their travel costs to and from Rhodes University, including during the University’s holidays, to encourage greater ownership and appreciation of the scholarship programme by the beneficiaries and their media organizations.
Method of Application: Students wishing to apply for these scholarships need to:
- Complete Rhodes University’s standard External Honours Application form, which is available at https://www.ru.ac.za/media/rhodesuniversity/content/registrar/documents/forms/2015%20External%20Hons%20Applications.pdf), which mustbe submitted directly to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University and a copy emailed to Sibonise Mbengashe ([email protected]) at the Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership. They must also complete the application form for the PDMM, which is available at https://www.ru.ac.za/spi/studying/ and send it to both the Registrar’s Division and the SPI’s Sibonise Mbengashe ([email protected]).
- Submit a detailed CV, including email and phone contact details. This is sent to the SPI only.
- Submit certified academic transcripts of ALL tertiary qualifications. These are sent to both the SPI and Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University; and
- Submit to the SPI, through Sibonise, a 1,000-word letter of motivation, which explains why the student is interested in doing the PDMM, how the PDMM will assist the student’s career and why the student believes she qualifies for the OSISA scholarship.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted after the applications close at 12 mid-day (Southern African Time) on 23 November 2018.
For more details about this scholarship View scholarship details
Scholarship Application Deadline: 23rd November 2018.